Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Caracter description

Reading Persepolis, a book written by Marjane Satrapi, I could discover a brave little girl who wanted to fight against social classes. During the Iranian Revolution, Marjane had to suffer the consequences of it, but she also had to understand that there was another kind of revolution. According to Marjane, this revolution was provoked by her own family, and she felt responsible and ashamed because she had things that others couldn’t. “The reason for my shame and for the revolution is the same: the difference between social classes,” Marjane said. In addition, Marjane’s father explained her that people have to follow the rules of the country and it was to “stay within your own social class” (37). Even though Marjane was too young, she realized that some people, including her family, were intolerant and it was one of the reasons of war. Consequently, she decided to demonstrate in the streets. This shows Marjane’s decision to protest against the difference between social classes. I think that Marjane did not do anything else because of her age.

As I continued to read Persepolis, I found it interesting the way that some people attacked their own kind. For example, Marjane was living an intern conflict because she did not understand if her father was for or against social classes; but during the demonstration in the streets Marjane and her maid were attacked by their own people (39). Later, when Marjane and her family went to the supermarket, they heard some women saying, “Southern women are all whores” (93). I could relate to these scenes because, in my Native country: Mexico, many people are destroying the peaceful place that my land was. Many years ago, it was secure to walk on the streets at any time. However, now if you want to take a walk at night, you could be attacked and even killed. I can not understand how some Mexican people who are fighting for power in the world of the drugs are killing their own people without remorse. Although it is not exactly the same situation that Marjane lived during the Iranian Revolution, I am really sure that it is the same lack of sensibility.

I think that Marjane decided to write these scenes because she wanted to show us how absurd the Islamic Revolution was. While Iran was attacked with brutality under a strict regimen of prohibitions, some Iranians had the time to assault others. Also, Marjane wanted to show us the impotence that some people felt and how they demonstrated it attacking their own people. Using these kinds of scenes the author creates a vivid connection between the readers and the desperation that some Iranians were living during this crude period of their lives. Of course, Marjane brought to my mind that there are some resemblances between what she lived in Iran and what is happening in my country.

1 comment:

  1. So very interesting to read through this post. What a great point you make about the violence in some parts of Mexico and the violence in this novel. It's so sad to me all of this death and destruction. Your post reminded me of this sadness that I feel. My heart goes out to all of the people suffering through all of this, especially the children.

    ReplyDelete