Sunday, September 11, 2011

My mother never...

My mother never went to school when she was a little girl. However, she dreamed with the idea of teaching others. She was three years when her mother died, but quickly her father decided to get married again. She had to cook when she was seven years old, and as the biggest one in her family, she had to take care of her five siblings. My mother's father is very strict and according to his believes the only preoccupation for a woman should be to learn how to be a good housewife. On the other hand, my mother had other plans and she enrolled in school when she was 15. She pretended that she was going to her job daily at the same hour. She earned money selling chocolates in school, and that way my grandfather did not discover her duplicity. Four years later, Elizabeth, my mother, accomplished her goal of getting her high school diploma. Later, she got married and continued her studies. My mother spent many years teaching in an elementary school in Mexico. It is amazing how happy and positive my mother is, even though she suffered many things during her childhood. My mom is the best example of rebelliousness and how important it is to defend your aspirations. Thanks to my mother I believe that there is nothing impossible in life. Furthermore, I think that there are many cultures and ideas that can influence your thoughts; however, the most important thing is who you are and how rebellious you can be to accomplish your goals.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's refreshing to read about your mother and her courageous sense of pursuing her dreams of educating herself as well as the desire to teach others during a tough and challenging times. I think my culture and yours have something in common and that is the view that our grandfathers' perspectives towards the role of women was just nothing more than to stay at home and be a good housewife. I had to analyze why had to be the way it was, and surprisingly enough, I found out that (even though we are from two substantially different background) our grandfathers' perspectives were just reflections of their society.

    It was the society who had the power to establish what certain peoples' role was going to be like. And our grandfather's had no choice but to follow the ways of their own society, else they would suffered and be outcasted.... It was a scary thing to think. But I'm that this mentality is about to disappear in many parts of the world today!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria, your mom sounds like a bad ass (sorry for the language). Its amazing that your mom didn't let anything stop her. It really relates to the character in the story on how she defied her parents when she and her 'maid' went to the protest, maybe not on the same scale as your mother but both have women power written every where. Thanks for sharing your story.

    Erikah

    ReplyDelete